Tuesday 18 June 2013

LCD - CCD - SLR - or OCD in the DNA

One thing I have realised that with all new hobbies or areas of research, there are the inevitable acronyms!

I keep bumping into the term SLR relating to cameras and I just did not know what it meant. Now I do....SLR means Single Lens Reflex. Now this is quite different to when the doctor takes a rubber hammer to your knee to test your involuntary reflex, but still all of these terms still cause a shiver to run down my spine!

Having shuddered a little with my involuntary shiver, it was time to read on....

Talking digitally there are now two main types of camera - a DSLR or digital Single Lens Reflex camera (more expensive) or a (less expensive) Digital LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) camera.

What do they have in common? Well they both allow you to see exactly what the CCD is about to capture. The CCD or Charge Coupled Device is the clever digital technology that replaced film - i.e. where the image is captured.

The SLR and the LCD cameras both allow the photographer to see the image exactly prior to the picture being taken which is different to the old style cameras that had different viewfinders, so the lens and the view finder had slightly different aspects.

Now if you want to know which is best for you you need to ask an expert, in my limited understanding so far, I think that the LCD with a lower budget might be a good starting point, but this may be open to debate - anyone with more experience, firstly, why are you reading this blog? and secondly can you advise?

Now I have been accused of having a mild case of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) in my time, once I set my mind to something, I become obsessed by it. It may be in my DNA. But the more I look into the subject of photography, the more interested I become in it.

I have started to take more and more photos and am enjoying it, over time I will add more but you have to start somewhere! Try checking out these images or a few others here.

TIP of the Day:

1. Don’t go crazy buying the most expensive equipment right away.

It’s possible to get very nice photos with an inexpensive point and shoot.  The more photos you take, the more you’ll know about what kind of camera to get when it’s time to upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment